TRACEY Bartley will saddle-up two promising fillies at Taree on Monday and believes the addition of blinkers will pay the ultimate dividend for Arrossire.
Arrossire won her maiden first-up at Port Macquarie this time in and has been knocking on the door at her past two starts in Class 1 company.
AT THE TRACK: MCDONALD SHAPING UP FOR HIS RETURN
She has drawn ideally in barrier three in the Benchmark 55 Handicap (1312m) and Bartley has decided to make a key gear change. “The 1300m looks ideal with the blinkers on and that will just make her be closer,” he said. “I think she will be hard to beat.
BRAD DAVIDSON’S BEST BETS
BEST BET: ARROSSIRE (Race 7, No. 5)
Had too much to do from the back third-up but the blinkers go on here and she should be able to park much closer. Just has to produce her renowned finishing sprint to be winning.
NEXT BEST: BOCHY (Race 2, No. 3)
Ran on strongly over the mile last start and he might be looking for the extra trip now. Looks well placed in this grade.
OTHER BET: MISS REDOBLE (Race 4, No. 5)
Trialled well for her return and she just had too much to do on debut at Coffs Harbour last prep. She may drift back again but hopefully she is in touch with them on the turn.
TRAINER TO FOLLOW
TRACEY BARTLEY has two runners at Taree and both Arrossire and Miss Redoble should go very close.
BEST BET: YOU MAKE ME SMILE (Race 6, No. 8)
Won well at this track first-up and looks a progressive colt that should take the next step today.
QUADDIE: 1st leg: 1,2,4. 2nd leg: 9. 3rd leg: 3,8. 4th leg: 4,10.
JOCKEY TO FOLLOW
KATHY O’HARA has a strong book of seven rides, including You Make Me Smile in Race 6.
SCROLL DOWN FOR DAVO’S EXTENDED PREVIEWS
“The (horses) from the family that I’ve trained have won in blinkers, so we’ve just been waiting to whack them on her. I really think Arrossire is ready.”
Bartley rated Arrossire the pick of his two runners but also gave a good push for Miss Redoble in the Maiden Handicap (1007m). The filly finished an eye-catching fifth on debut at Coffs Harbour last preparation and returns on the back of a recent 800m Beaumont trial win.
“It’s the right race for her and it may be a tad short and she is going to get further later on,” Bartley said. “I scratched her (on Friday) because it looked a harder race at Muswellbrook, so she is nicely placed there.
“She trialled well and we took her all the way to Coffs (last prep) and she got beat but she just got back too far. I don’t think she will be back that far (Monday).
“She has prepped up really nice and she is a filly that will go through her grades.
“She is a nice filly and she will get a mile later if not 10 furlongs.
“This is a starting point for her and I would love to get a result for the owners and they are first time owners for our stable anyway.”
SYDNEY trainer Matthew Smith will take a big team of horses to Nowra and rated Kadoma Man and Typhoon Charlie the pick of them. Warwick Farm-based Smith accepted with eight horses at the meeting but said he will take six of those to Nowra.
Asked for his best chance on the program, Smith replied:
“Kadoma Man or Typhoon Charlie are probably the pick of them.”
“Typhoon Charlie ran a couple of OK races last time in too but he is a distance horse, so sometimes those distance horses will run well fresh and the they flatten out and need a couple of runs and they come good. But his work has been good, so I would say Kadoma Man and Typhoon Charlie are the best on the day.”
Smith gave Telegraph readers his thoughts on all six runners racing at Nowra on Monday.
VEUX WINKLE: “She is going well but she will need another one run.”
KADOMA MAN: “Staying horse who has a lot of weight but he will go all right. His win was good the other day even though it was only a small field and he just has to carry a bit of weight. If he carries the weight, he can win and he has been pretty consistent.’
GOLDYLUX: “She has been disappointing. She had an opportunity to win a couple of races and has just been beaten. We thought we would try her over 1100m and see what happens.”
MISS ALLSPICE: “She goes all right but she has drawn poorly again (in barrier nine) so she has to overcome that. She is going good though and her last two runs have been super. She just has to overcome the barrier and she will need luck in running.”
TYPHOON CHARLIE: “Good run first-up. He is a distance horse and I just don’t know (if that first-up run) will take the edge off him now but he has been working well. He won’t need the run or anything though and if he repeats his first-up run he won’t be far away from them.”
MISS BOWJANGLES: “She will be back running home. She is still a bit green and will probably need a few runs to get herself organised but she will probably go around.”
Meanwhile, Smith said recent Randwick winner Aqua D’ivina was having a freshen up.
“She had a hard run the other day so I will just back off her a bit now,” he said. “She might run again or she might just wait until the autumn now. She is a good filly and if we look after her we should win a good race with her.”
INSIDE MAIL with BRAD DAVIDSON
RACE 4 (3.40pm)
5. Miss Redoble put the writing on the wall with a slashing fifth at Coffs Harbour on debut last prep. She just got too far back that day but if she can stay in touch early here, she will take some holding out. 3. Directory stormed home last start and a repeat of that run will see her go close. She was $51 that day though.
BETTING STRATEGY: MISS REDOBLE to win.
RACE 5 (4.20pm)
9. Sausalito bumped into the in-form Four More Millers last start but beat the rest easily enough. Four More Millers won again at Glen Innes on Saturday. 2. Alot Like Home won well first-up and he has a pretty good record winning the three from seven. 10. Gronky got back but made solid ground late at the provincials in a slowly run race and might be underrated a touch by the market here. 3. Lyric is a hard horse to catch but has a good finish on his day.
BETTING STRATEGY: Boxed quinella 2,9,10.
RACE 6 (5pm)
6. I Am Awesome won her maiden well at Taree last start and she is only lightly raced and is still on the up. 9. Julie Magic is still a maiden but she almost beat Auerbach last start at Wyong and that horse had form around Aqua D’ivina. She is not that well placed in a Class 1 but Ben Looker rides and she shouldn’t get too far back from gate one. 5. Wacky Doo will run on late, while 8. Kingston Heath isn’t hopeless either.
BETTING STRATEGY: Quinella 6,9.
RACE 7 (5.40pm)
I like the look of 5. Arrossire here and she just got too far back at Scone last start. She gets a good gate and the blinkers go on. This looks her race. She looks the best of the day at Taree. 2. Sadhika has the big weight but she is always capable in this grade. 1. Jexerlent needs luck from the wide draw but should be ready to peak third-up. It’s hard to really make a strong winning case for the others.
BETTING STRATEGY: ARROSSIRE to win.
RACE 4 (4pm)
2. Nicochet showed good ability last campaign and he beat subsequent maiden winner High Tranquility at his last start at Goulburn, in August. He caught the eye in a recent trial and will be finishing strongly. 4. Mad Fox has been runner-up at his past three starts and he makes his own luck on speed. 1. He’s Blessed has been knocking on the door and deserves another win, while 3. Evonne’s Magic shouldn’t be far away first-up.
BETTING STRATEGY: NICOCHET to win.
RACE 5 (4.40pm)
9. Rapture Miss just missed second-up and she flashed home from the tail in an eye-catching run prior to that. She looks ready now third-up and should be hard to beat. 5. Admission should find this easier than the Class 3 last start but she will need luck from the wide draw. 2. Mohican next best.
BETTING STRATEGY: RAPTURE MISS to win.
RACE 6 (5.20pm)
8. You Make Me Smile was very impressive when winning first-up and let’s not forget he started $4.40 in a two-year-old handicap at Doomben at his only other start. He should be hard to beat second-up here. 3. Radetzky has won his past two starts well and looks the danger. 11. Vella Lonchick hasn’t won for some time but she has been running on strongly at her past couple. She can attack the line late again.
BETTING STRATEGY: YOU MAKE ME SMILE to win.
RACE 7 (6pm)
10. Beauty Kansas trialled well enough for this and she is by So You Think, so the 1400m fresh should be fine. 4. Typhoon Charlie ran on strongly first-up and a repeat of that effort should see him somewhere in the finish here. 6. Garros was OK on debut and should improve, while 3. Trust Who looks next best.
BETTING STRATEGY: BEAUTY KANSAS to win.
Originally published as Raceday focus: Taree and Nowra