- Shaun Harvey is facing rebellion over plans to move next year’s transfer window
- The EFL chief had thought enough clubs were happy to shut it early next summer
- Plans were discussed during a meeting attended by all 72 EFL clubs last month
- But several club owners are unhappy with how the meeting was organised
EFL chief Shaun Harvey is facing a rebellion from member clubs over plans to close the transfer window early like the Premier League.
Harvey believed that enough clubs were happy to shut the window the Thursday before the top-flight season begins when the plans were discussed at an EFL meeting last month.
But several disgruntled owners have told Sportsmail they do not back the proposals and claimed plans were not properly discussed during the meeting with all 72 clubs at Villa Park.
EFL chief Shaun Harvey is facing rebellion over plans to move next summer’s transfer window
Harvey had thought enough Football League clubs were happy to shut the window early
Disgruntled club owners have argued that the EFL added the item to the agenda just five days before the meeting, not giving them time to assess the implications.
Some are thought to have fallen into line after EFL bosses advised them to follow the Premier League’s lead — drawing parallels to voting on the Checkatrade Trophy last season — and are now unsure whether shutting the window early is in their best interests.
Sportsmail understands a growing number of clubs in League One and Two are willing to meet separately by the end of the month to discuss their next move.
They maintain the shortening of the summer window would put them at a serious disadvantage, even if the loan window remained open until August 31.
Harvey will put the plan before the clubs for final approval at a meeting next February.
The plans were discussed during a meeting attended by all 72 clubs at Villa Park last month
But several club owners told Sportsmail they are unhappy with how the meeting was organised