Score: Lubbock Christian 4, St. Mary’s 1
Records: Lubbock Christian (5-7-2, 4-4-2), St. Mary’s (7-6-1, 5-5-0)
Location: LCU Soccer Field (Lubbock, Texas)
• Lubbock Christian University’s offense exploded Saturday afternoon in a 4-1 victory over St. Mary’s University at LCU Soccer Field.
• The Chaps blasted 10 shots for the day with four landing on frame for a .400 shots on goal percentage.
• LCU marked two goals in each half for their largest victory of the 2017 season.
• Senior Corey Hutchison erupted for a hat trick with two first half goals and the Chaparral’s final goal of the match.
• Defender Johnathon Woods got on the board as well for his first goal of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• St. Mary’s Nenad Markovic opened up scoring for the match with a goal in the ninth minute to give the Rattlers their only lead of the contest. Markovic’s finish came on a header from the top of the six-yard box and was assisted by Luis Sanchez.
• Hutchison made his presence known in the 17th minute after fellow striker Abdou Joof split the defense with a through ball for Hutchison to run onto and bury from the six-yard box.
• Hutchison struck again 26:23 into the opening half from inside the 18-yard box on a pass from Chance McCarter.
• Johnathon Woods hopped into the scoring column with a header in the 76th minute that beat the St. Mary’s keeper and tapped the left post before crossing the goal line and putting LCU up 3-1. Woods’ finish came on a set-piece cross from Louis Callaghan.
• Hutchison placed his final stamp on the match with a rocket from the top of the 18-yard box that blew by the St. Mary’s keeper into the top right corner.
• Hutchison’s three goals mark the first multi-goal game of his career. His performance serves as the sixth hat trick in program history and the first under head coach Paul Gilbert.
• The 4-1 win is LCU’s largest victory of the season and their first performance with four or more goals since a 5-1 defeat of Colorado Christian University in the 2015 season (9/11/15).
• The Chaps tallied 11 points on the afternoon marking the most points in a contest in the Gilbert era.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
10: Heading into the day, Hutchison had produced four points for the season. Following his hat trick, the senior now leads the Chap squad in points scored (10) and goals scored (4) for the year.
The Chaparrals will now look ahead to a Heartland Conference match against West Division leader West Texas A&M University. The match against the Buffs is scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19 at The Pitch in Canyon, Texas. LCU will look to avenge a 2-1 loss at home to WTAMU earlier this season (9/28/17). Lubbock Christian has not beaten the Buffs since a 3-2 road win in the 2015 season. West Texas A&M holds a 4-2-0 all-time record over the Chaps dating back to 2013.