“Obesity is the most common nutritional problem in cats and dogs today, but the conversation about weight is not an easy one”, said Dr. Catherine Lenox, a veterinary nutritionist and Royal Canin Scientific Affairs Manager. “Implementing an effective weight loss program for an overweight pet starts with an honest conversation with their veterinarian.”
Dr. Lenox offers the following tips to help your pet succeed in its weight loss journey:
- Beat the Beg: Begging is common and often misunderstood.2,7 Data shows that three out of five pet owners agree their pets beg often7. Resisting a begging pet is difficult and may lead to overfeeding,2,9 as owners often misinterpret their pets’ begging behavior as a need for food.2,7
- Focus on Portion Control: Measure out the recommended feeding amount as directed by your veterinarian.
- Encourage Exercise: Encourage regular physical activity. This can be anything from brief periods of play to long walks. Remember to adjust the intensity based on the individual abilities of your pet.
- Maintain Consistency: Changing behavior can be challenging. Your personal motivation and commitment are critical to the success of your pet’s weight loss program.
- Talk to Your Veterinarian about Precise Nutrition: Nutrition plays a critical role in a pet’s weight loss plan. Pet owners should talk to their veterinarian to determine which diet is most appropriate for their pet.
When discussing weight management options with a veterinarian, diets to consider are the ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET® SATIETY® SUPPORT cat and dog formulas. In addition to providing great taste, the formulas provide nutritional support to help pets to reach and maintain a healthy weight, and help control begging. These cat and dry dog food formulas are:
- Made with high quality ingredients using the highest industry standards for manufacturing in Royal Canin’s company-owned plants located in the USA and Canada.
- Clinically proven to support weight loss; the largest multicenter clinical trial to date showed that during a three-month period SATIETY® SUPPORT delivered effective weight loss and begging control.
- Designed to help keep pets feeling full and satisfied in between meals.
To complement the existing formulas, Royal Canin is also adding two new feline wet formulas designed for weight loss, SATIETY® SUPPORT Morsels in Gravy and SATIETY® SUPPORT Loaf in Sauce, which will be available in April 2018.
“Precise nutrition aids in weight loss and maintenance, and ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET® SATIETY® SUPPORT is formulated to support healthy weight and help control begging during the weight loss process,” said Dr. Lenox. “Our SATIETY® SUPPORT product line further supports Royal Canin’s commitment to developing nutritional solutions that will address the specific needs of individual cats and dogs.”
For more information on the ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET® SATIETY® SUPPORT cat and dog food formulas, please visit. https://www.royalcanin.com/products/vet/weight-loss-support.
- Flanagan J et al. Success of a weight loss plan for overweight dogs: the results of an international weight loss study. PLoS One 2017;12(9):e0184199.
- Murphy M. Obesity treatment. Environment and behaviour modification. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2016;46:883-898.
- Rohlf VI et al. Dog obesity: can dog caregivers’ (owners’) feeding and exercise intentions and behaviours be predicted from attitudes. J Appl Anim Welfare Sci 2010;13(3):213-236.
- McGreevy PD et al. Prevalence of obesity in dogs examined by Australian veterinary practices and the risk factors involved. Vet Rec 2005;156(22):695-702.
- State of Pet Health 2017 Report, Banfield Pet Hospital.
- Kienzle E and Bergler R. Human-animal relationship of owners of normal and overweight cats. J Nutr 2006;136:1947S-1950S.
- Satiety Consumer Study (11-21-14), IPSOS 2014.
ROYAL CANIN USA
Royal Canin USA is a leader in science-based cat and dog health nutrition. Founded by a veterinarian in 1968, Royal Canin has more than 40 years of experience in delivering individualized nutritional solutions. In collaboration with an expert team of nutritionists, breeders and veterinarians from around the world, Royal Canin places cats and dogs at the central point of the innovation process. The Royal Canin product line offers a range of diets based on size, age, breed, lifestyle and therapeutic requirements. Royal Canin diets are available at veterinary hospitals and pet specialty stores nationwide. Royal Canin is a subsidiary of Mars, Incorporated. To learn more about Royal Canin, visit www.royalcanin.com and “LIKE” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/royalcaninus.
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-satiety-support-offers-proven-weight-loss-solution-including-new-feline-wet-formulas-available-in-april-2018-300593952.html
SOURCE Royal Canin USA