Click on the video player above to watch live action from the World Rugby Sevens Series opener in Dubai.
Canada’s women’s team opened with a 19-0 win over Spain and followed up by defeating Ireland 31-0. Canada’s next match is against Fiji on Thursday at 9:15 a.m. ET.
Toronto’s Ghislaine Landry captains the women’s squad, which features two debutants alongside several members of Canada’s bronze-winning squad from the Rio 2016 Olympics. They’ll face stiff competition in Dubai, particularly from Australia, England and New Zealand’s fearsome Black Ferns, who are led by World Rugby’s women’s player of the year Portia Woodman.
Here is Canada’s full roster for the Dubai tournament:
- Britt Benn (Napanee, Ont.)
- Emma Chown (Barrie, Ont.)
- Caroline Crossley (Victoria, B.C.)
- Hannah Darling (Warsaw, Ont.)
- Julia Greenshields (Sarnia, Ont.)
- Jen Kish (Edmonton, Alta.)
- Tausani Levale (Abbotsford, B.C.)
- Ghislaine Landry (Toronto, Ont.)
- Megan Lukan (Barrie, Ont.)
- Kayla Moleschi (Williams Lake, B.C.)
- Breanne Nicholas (Blenheim, Ont.)
- Natasha Watcham-Roy (Gatineau, Que.)
The Canadian men’s team plays Friday at 1:30 a.m. ET, 5:14 a.m. ET and 10:53 a.m. ET.
Harry Jones will captain Canada’s team. Here’s the team’s roster:
- Phil Berna (Vancouver)
- Connor Braid (Victoria)
- Admir Cejvanovic (Burnaby, B.C.)
- Justin Douglas (Abbotsford, B.C.)
- Mike Fuailefau (Victoria)
- Lucas Hammond (Toronto)
- Nathan Hirayama (Richmond, B.C.)
- Harry Jones (North Vancouver, B.C.)
- Isaac Kaay (Kamloops, B.C.)
- Pat Kay (Duncan, B.C.)
- John Moonlight (Pickering, Ont.)
- Matt Mullins (Belleville, Ont.)
- Liam Underwood (Toronto)