WWE legend Jerry Lawler was branded a “sexist pig” and a “piece of s**t” after airing his views on old sexual assault allegations now coming to light, PC culture and female wrestlers being treated the same as males.
Lawler, 68, has been involved in the wrestling industry for 50 years and is one of the most recognisable faces in the business.
Known as The King, he was one of the voices along with co-commentator Jim Ross as WWE became a global phenomenon in the 90s and early 00s.
He was famed for his love of the WWE Divas, one of which called Stacy Carter became his third wife, as well as his in-ring performances.
However, the much-loved Lawler has some polarising opinions and has caused uproar with his recent comments on his podcast Dinner With The King.
Following the recent wave of sexual assault allegations in Hollywood, he was asked whether he though any would emerge from the past in pro wrestling.
Lawler replied: “It appears that eventually anybody that’s ever flirted with anybody, or had any kind of sexual contact with anybody, is all of a sudden you could potentially be a target in the future.”
The co-host Glenn Moore then re-iterated that he was talking about serious allegations, such as waking up to a sex act being unwillingly performed on them, to which Lawler began to laugh and compared it to pranks male wrestlers pulled by taking pictures with their genitals next to a sleeping friend’s face.
He said: “At the time, you’re thinking ‘this is totally harmless.’ But then all of a sudden, 15-years-later, that photograph shows up somewhere … it’s gonna offend somebody.
“That’s the way the country has become. Everything 99% of the people may think is done in jest, or whatever, and all of a sudden that 1% out there is gonna be offended by it.
“And that 1% can speak up as loudly as the other 99% cannot.”
His co-host once more tried to rephrase the question, to which Lawler denied ever hearing of something like someone using their position of authority to tempt someone into a sex act against their will.
That then led to Lawler going on a rant about how annoyed he is that he cannot speak on-air nowadays like he could in the Attitude Era due to the problematic PC culture.
He claimed that the infamous Bra and Panties were highlight of the show back then and added “we’ve gone so far now” that women have to be treated “the same as the men” by not being called Divas.
You can listen to the full transcript from the show above.
His words drew fierce criticism from many, with him being called a “pig” while others called him a “piece of s**t.”
Twitter user @MikeyTots said: “Is it not apparent that Jerry Lawler is a piece of s**t to women. Has this not been very clear for years?”
💰How to claim your FREE £30 bet💰
2 Bet £10 or more
3 Sun Bets will stick a £30 bet in your account
Another called @fgc_preachman wrote: “After listening to his rant, I can say that Jerry Lawler is a sexist pig that does not think putting your genitals next to someones face is sexual assault and he thinks women should still be demoralised in bra and panties matches.”
With @pdallmann24 blasting: “Well Jerry Lawler, I was barely a fan before this and even less of one now. Evolve and understand that that good ole boy attitude doesn’t cut it anymore. We’ve grown as a society and hopefully WWE’s culture has too.”
And @TeeHaitchGee said: “I can guarantee you nobody on earth asked for Jerry Lawler’s opinion on sexual assault allegations, PC culture and female wrestler equality.”