$1 Billion ‘Security Fund’: Bayelsa To Sue FG

0
43





FREDO16042018-ND-5
Rivers State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Barr. Emma Okah (left) and other guests at the 7th Annual Conference of National and State Assembly Service Commissions held in Port Hacourt, recently.

The Bayelsa State Government has threatened to sue the Federal Government if it refuses to deduct the 13 per cent derivation component of the $1 billion Excess Crude Account funds it plans to withdraw to tackle insecurity in the country.
Governor Seriake Dickson had demanded that the 13 percent derivation component of the funds be deducted and deployed in the oil-producing states to address the peculiar security challenges in the region.
A statement by the Bayelsa government Saturday said although the President Muhammadu Buhari claimed the $1 billion dollar would be used for security purpose, but many Nigerians doubt his sincerity. The statement said the state government had also formally presented its position to the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, who is also the Chairman of the National Economic Council.
The State Commissioner for Information, Daniel Iworiso-Markson, said in the statement that the state government was insisting that the 13 per cent derivation component of the money be deducted and sent to the various oil producing states as earlier demanded.
Mr Iworiso-Markson quoted the State Governor, Seriake Dickson, as having explained that withdrawing the $1 billion without deducting and paying the 13 per cent derivation to the oil- producing states would amount to arm-twisting them to make double contributions to the security funds.
The governor said that wholesome withdrawal of the funds inclusive of the 13 per cent derivation would mean that the oil producing states would be making double contributions because they would be contributing their allocations like all other states and then the 13 percent derivation constitutionally provided for, to address security and other pressing needs in the states.
Mr Dickson had earlier called the attention of the Vice President, to the position of the state government on the proposed withdrawal of the ECA funds last December.
The governor had stressed that while Bayelsa was not opposed to the withdrawal of the funds to enhance national security, “the utilization of the funds involving the armed forces, intelligence services and police must cover every part of the country.”
“The Bayelsa State Government will approach the court to enforce deduction of the 13 percent derivation component from the $1 billion ECA funds which the Federal Government claims it plans to withdraw to tackle insecurity. “We have held meetings with the Vice President, President Yemi Osinbajo, on this issue.
We even backed it up with a formal letter to the President through the Vice President which was taken to Abuja by His Excellency, the Deputy Governor and delivered by hand to the Vice President to underscore the importance we attach to the issue in question.







Read The Story Here

SHARE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here