Hamilton Academical 1-2 Kilmarnock – BBC Sport


Kris Boyd’s 21st goal of the season gave Kilmarnock victory

Kilmarnock beat Hamilton Academical in the final Scottish Premiership match before the league’s split to move to within four points of fourth place.

Darian MacKinnon fired against the Killie crossbar and Accies’ Rakish Bingham and Lewis Ferguson were denied by keeper Leo Fasan in the first half.

Kirk Broadfoot headed home from close range to put Kilmarnock ahead but David Templeton’s free-kick levelled matters.

Kris Boyd tapped in Aaron Simpson’s delivery and this time Killie held on.

Steve Clarke’s side, who win for a sixth successive game and extend their unbeaten league run to 11, move closer to Hibernian going into the final five rounds of fixtures against their fellow top-six sides.

Hamilton, in ninth, remain four points clear of the league’s bottom two and ahead of Dundee on goal difference.

This had the feel of a battle in the early stages, with both sides determined to exercise their right to dominate the play.

Boyd fired an early effort well wide and very little happened until the end of the half, when Hamilton sprung into life.

Killie’s stand-in goalkeeper Fasan kept the match goal-less in the first half

On a counter attack Ali Crawford played the ball to MacKinnon, who fired a piledriver of a shot from 20 yards toward goal which clipped the top of the crossbar.

Moments later Bingham fired in another shot which Fasan, who had replaced the injured Jamie MacDonald in the starting line-up, did well to tip over.

And Accies would finish the half with all the momentum as Fasan again had to save well, this time Ferguson with an effort denied.

It was a somewhat surprising end to a half that Kilmarnock had dominated in terms of possession. The problem for Clarke’s side was they had created nothing significant in terms of chances.

They would start the second half with renewed purpose. Jordan Jones ghosted into the box but his shot flew high over the bar.

Broadfoot scored his first Kilmarnock goal

And then the breakthrough. A free-kick from Dicker into the box and there was Broadfoot, who guided a header into the corner of the net. The massed ranks of Kilmarnock fans behind the goal erupted in delight.

But Hamilton would hit back soon after. Crawford was felled on the edge of the box by Dicker. Up stepped Templeton, who had just come off the bench, and the former Rangers forward curled into the net.

However, Kilmarnock were far from finished. A flowing move saw Simpson cut the ball back for top scorer Boyd, who finished in customary fashion.

In the end the win could have been even more emphatic as Gary Woods saved well from Eamonn Brophy.

Read The Story Here



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here