Iran fails to hijack British oil tanker in Hormuz Strait forcing UK Government response | World | News

0
14


According to Sky News the ships, thought to be Iranian, attempted to seize the British tanker as it skirted close to Iranian waters. The ship was ordered to change course before the alleged Revolutionary Guard ships tried to seize the tanker. The Royal Navy frigate, HMS Montrose had been escorting the ship, officials said.

When the Iranian boats demanded that it changed its course, the frigate trained its guns on them and issued a warning, according to reports. 

Upon issuing the warning, the Iranian ships retreated.

One of the officials said: “The Royal Navy HMS Montrose, which was also there, pointed its guns at the boats and warned them over radio, at which point they dispersed.” 

Another official said: “It was harassment and an attempt to interfere with the passage.” 

Officials have also confirmed that a US surveillance aircraft was overhead and recorded the event.

The Navy frigate was escorting the British Heritage tanker off the coast of the United Arab Emirates.

READ MORE: Iran accuses UK of piracy as it attacks ‘dangerous precedent’

A British Government source said on Thursday: “HMS Montrose was forced to position herself between the Iranian vessels and British Heritage and issue verbal warnings to the Iranian vessels, which then turned away,” a British government representative said in a statement.

“We are concerned by this action and continue to urge the Iranian authorities to de-escalate the situation in the region.”

This news comes as a senior Iranian official had threatened to seize a British oil tanker.

Iran had threatened to take control of the UK tanker following the seizure of an Iranian ship off the coast of Gibraltar.

READ MORE: World War 3: Will Iran go to war with US after it shot down US drone?

Following the seizure of the Iranian oil tanker, Grace 1, Mohsen Rezaei, who is presently the Secretary of Iran’s Expediency Discernment Council threatened the UK.

He said: “If Britain does not release the Iranian oil tanker, it is the authorities’ duty to seize a British oil tanker.”

Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran’s foreign minister, said the UK’s action had set “a dangerous precedent and must end now”.

Moreover, the Islamic Republic has also called the UK ambassador to Tehran to lodge a formal protest against the seizure.

The latest news comes following a series of exchanges between the US and the Islamic Republic.

Donald Trump has accused the country of two separate attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last month.

READ MORE: Tehran foreign minister’s nuclear warning – ‘Deal built on mistrust!’

Whereas Iran shot down a US drone after it allegedly flew into Iranian territory.

Tensions between the US and Iran began to escalate following Donald Trump’s unilateral withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.

The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action was signed by Iran and the leading powers in order to eliminate the country’s stockpile of low-enriched uranium.

Following Trump’s withdrawal from the treaty, Iran has now insisted that it will exceed the 3.67 percent limits previously agreed in the 2015 treaty.

With Iran looking to exceed the limit, Donald Trump has initiated a raft of new economic sanctions determined to cripple the economy.



Read The Story Here

SHARE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here