Latest Brexit updates for British nationals in Slovenia


The UK government continues to work toward a deal and an orderly exit from the EU. However, a No Deal Brexit remains a possibility. While the Slovene parliament has approved legislation to retain the rights of UK nationals living in Slovenia, there are still some essential steps for everyone to take before the exit deadline (April 12).

General advice – Stay informed

This document is aimed at providing an overview of the latest up-to-date information and practical advice. For detailed information read our Living in Slovenia Guide and sign up for updates.

The Living in Slovenia Guide should serve as your main point of reference for all Brexit-related queries. Urgent updates will also be published on this site, as well as on our Facebook and Twitter channel.

Residence – Make sure you are registered

If you plan to stay in Slovenia for over 90 days and are not yet registered, you should apply for temporary residence before 12 April. You can do this at any Upravna Enota. Details on how to do this are available at this MNZ website.

Driving licence – Exchange your UK licence for a Slovene one

Visit the website to check whether you can exchange your driving licence. If you are eligible we recommend you swap your UK driving licence for a Slovene licence at your nearest Upravna Enota before 12 April.

You should be able to exchange your UK driving licence if you hold a permanent or temporary residence permit and have been resident in Slovenia for at least 185 days in the last year (‘habitual residency’).

When exchanging your licence you will be required to provide the following documentation: a passport photo, your current ID and UK driving licence. You will also need to pay a small fee. Those with a ‘01 code’ on their licence may also need to get an eye test report.

Some applicants have been asked to prove residency in the UK at the time their UK licence was issued in order to exchange their licence for a local one. The British Embassy has produced a letter which clarifies that UK driving licences are only issued to UK residents. Please contact us here if you require a copy.

If you do not meet Upravna Enota criteria to prove your habitual residency, then you can continue to drive on your UK driving licence, including after the UK leaves the EU, with or without a deal. You should be aware that if the UK leaves the EU without a deal and you are habitually resident in Slovenia, you will be required to exchange your UK licence within 12 months.

Visitors to Slovenia and non-habitual residents will continue to be able to use their UK driving licences immediately after the UK’s exit from the EU, whether this is with or without a deal.

Healthcare – Check your health coverage now

We recommend that permanent and temporary residents review the status of your healthcare cover before 12 April. We are currently confirming a central contact at the Slovenian National Health Insurance Agency (ZZZS) for anyone who is concerned and will update this information in the near future.

If you are employed in Slovenia, receiving benefits or you are a child then you should already have healthcare cover and there is unlikely to be a change to your healthcare coverage.

However, pensioners receiving coverage through the EU reciprocal agreement (S1 form) would not currently be covered in a No Deal scenario. We recommend securing basic healthcare coverage through ZZZS before 12 April.

Temporary residents should ensure they have basic healthcare coverage, which they too can arrange through the Slovenian National Health Insurance Agency (see link above).

The current EHIC system for those visiting the EU will cease on 12 April if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. If you will remain a non-resident/tourist (or family, friends who are visitors) we recommend obtaining private travel insurance to cover any healthcare costs for the period you are visiting.

Travel – Check your passport is valid

If you are planning to travel to/within the EU after 12 April, check that you have at least six months’ validity remaining on your UK passport. Some passports may need to have more than 6 months’ validity, if you had extra time from your previous passport ‘topped up’ onto your new passport. You can check your passport using this online tool.

Outreach events

We have had recent outreach meetings in Ljubljana, Maribor, Bled, Postojna and Kobarid. We plan to organise more in the very near future, so make sure to let us know if there is a need in your area.

We will advertise future dates on our outreach events page and on our Facebook channel.

Questions or concerns?

If you experience any difficulties or have questions, please get in touch – we are here to help. You can contact us here or on 01 200 3910. Recently the Slovene Government, with whom we remain in close touch on all of the above points, has established a dedicated Brexit page. You can also contact them directly here:

Read The Story Here



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here