The cricketer who sparked a match-ending walk-off in a club cricket match has been stood down for six weeks and must give a written apology to the player he racially abused.
On Sunday the entire senior club team for Kāpiti Old Boys, based in Paraparaumu north of Wellington, walked off with about 30 overs to play of their match against Levin Old Boys in Levin.
It came after one of the Levin batsmen abused a fielder with swearing and a racial slur for people of Indian heritage.
Now the Horowhenua Kāpiti Cricket Association has announced the stand down, agreed to by the clubs, saying the player was “extremely disappointed” with himself.
READ MORE: Team walks off after racial abuse
In an open letter to players, chief executive David O’Brien said the association was proud of how the clubs and players worked through an “unfortunate” incident.
“The player in question has been stood down for six weeks and will be providing both the opposition player and club a written apology.” He said the clubs and association believed the incident was an isolated one.
On Sunday, the incident happened in the second over of Levin’s innings at bat, in the 40-over match at Donnelly Park, when the fielder was chasing a ball hit by the batsman.
The fielder did not signal when it went over the boundary for four, leaving the batsmen to run for longer than they needed to.
The batsman then swore and used the racial slur at the opposition player.
After a senior Kāpiti player left the field and spoke to match officials and the Levin captain, the Kāpiti players called a team meeting and a vote was taken.
The players decided to quit the match and leave the field with about 30 overs to play.
On Wednesday, Levin club secretary Dan Parker said after more discussion the six-week stand down, several weeks longer than one initially imposed by the club, was seen as more appropriate.
“It’s been dealt with. We’re moving on … all parties involved are happy with what’s been done and that’s all we have to say on the matter.”
In a written statement for the club, Kāpiti Old Boys president Hayden Wright said player welfare had been the primary concern.
“People play cricket for the enjoyment. Unfortunately it negatively affected everyone involved. All parties must forgive and move forward. We extend it from our players and club to our opposing player unreservedly.”
He said Levin Old Boys should be commended for their handling of the incident.
“Kāpiti Old Boys Cricket Club is proud of our players for their stance. Thanks to everyone who has provided and offered their support.”
The player who was abused did not wish to talk.