Teenage mum Courtney Newlands found dead next to baby boy


A young mum lay dead in her flat for two days with her five-month-old baby beside her.

Courtney Newlands, 19, was found lying on her couch with “dehydrated” son Declan Junior in his cot beside her.

Police were forced to break down the door to the woman’s Glasgow flat after reports from her worried family when they failed to hear from her, The Sun reports.

Ms Newlands recently moved into the Penilee flat with her boyfriend Declan, although the couple had fallen out in the week before her death and he had moved out.

Fears grew because she hadn’t posted her daily baby photos on Facebook.

It’s understood tragic teen passed away after complications related to Type 1 diabetes, which she has battled since she was a child, sometime between February 19 and 20.

Baby Declan was rushed to hospital where he was treated for dehydration but is now at home being cared for by Ms Newland’s sister, Lorraine, 23.

And mum, also Lorraine, 43, says it’s devastating not knowing what exactly happened to her daughter.

She told The Evening Times: “I think it’s affecting us more because we don’t really know what happened.

“The way we are looking at it, is, if it had been one more day would Declan be here?

“It’s a shame because he was crying the other day and I played a video of Courtney and he just stared at her phone. He stopped crying straight away.

“We are going to keep playing them because it will make him feel as if she’s still there.”

Lorraine told how her daughter had suffered two heartbreaking miscarriages which led to further health complications brought on by diabetes.

It was feared Ms Newlands would never fall pregnant again until she did in 2018 – and gave birth to little Declan.

Her mum revealed she had a bad feeling after they failed to make contact with her.

And she praised the efforts of police who changed baby Declan’s nappy and fed him after Ms Newland’s body was discovered.

Her mother said: “I just had this terrible feeling. I said to my daughter, phone the police and she told me she was already at the flat and there was no answer and she couldn’t hear the baby.

“Then I said, just call the police. There is obviously something wrong. I was at the flat and there was ambulances and police but they wouldn’t let me in.

“They said she was there for two days and nobody knew she was there.

“She was lying on the couch with a cover over her and her Lucozade and insulin next to her. The police were really good, they changed Declan’s nappy and gave him some milk.”

The family are now planning to give the young woman a fitting send-off at her funeral.

And Lorraine said her daughter will be remembered as a popular girl and loving mum.

Ms Newland’s heartbroken family are now waiting for the results of more detailed tests – which will take six weeks – after the post-mortem failed to point to the cause of the teen’s death.

She added: “She was just a normal teen, dead bubbly. She had loads and loads of friends, she was very popular.

“Last week, she had dyed her hair purple and it had turned orange and she was laughing about it.”

This story has been reproduced from The Sun with permission.

Read The Story Here



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here